At Jack Stephan, one of the most common and avoidable plumbing issues our Orange County and Los Angeles plumbers deal with are pesky toilet clogs. And with stoppages occurring immediately and those that build up over time, it can sometimes be difficult to determine the exact cause of the clog. But, here are some of the most common culprits.
1. Toilet Paper: Most often, the cause of a toilet clog is excessive toilet paper. If you use a lot of toilet paper at once, you run the risk of clogging the toilet. Ideally, you should first flush waste and then flush toilet paper. Flushing the toilet multiple times, when necessary, and being mindful of the amount of paper being used can avoid stoppages.
2. Feminine Hygiene Products: Sanitary napkins and tampons can often cause clogs due to their expansive nature, which can block both debris and water from successfully traveling through pipes.
3. Hair: Large clumps of human or animal hair can lead to tough toilet clogs. Therefore, hair from brushes, combs and razors should always be disposed of in wastebaskets. Even small quantities of hair can get stuck in the drain causing clogs to build over time.
4. Accidents: Our Orange County and Los Angeles plumbers know that the most stubborn clogs are often the result of an item being flushed accidentally. Toothbrushes that fall from the sink into the toilet, razors that drop into the toilet while shaving, and toys that children try to flush can all cause clogs.
5. Fresheners: Toilet fresheners serve a great purpose, but they can also create a huge clog. If you use a freshener that hooks over the toilet rim, be aware that the hooks may deteriorate, causing the freshener to fall into the toilet.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with and expert Orange County or Los Angeles plumbers, please give us a call at 1 (800) 464-7586.